Geographical position: Montenegro belongs to the area of central Mediterranean. It is situated between 41° 52' and 43° 42' of the Northern geographic latitude and 18° 26' and 20° 22' of the Southern geographic longitude.
In the southeast, it borders with Albania; in the south, the Adriatic Sea separates it from Italy; in the west its neighbouring countries are the Republic of Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina, and in the north Serbia.
Surface: The mainland covers 13,812 km2, and the surface of the territorial sea amounts to 214 km2.
Time zone: Montenegro belongs to the GMT +1 time zone.
Capital: Podgorica (173,000 inhabitants) - administrative and economic centre.
Coastline: 293 km
Highest peak: Bobotov kuk - 2,522 m (mountain Durmitor).
Climate: There are three climate zones in Montenegro:
- Mediterranean climate: average temperatures in July range between 23,4 °C and 25,6 °C. Summers are usually long and dry, and winters short and mild. The average number of sunny hours amounts to 2500, whereas Ulcinj is an exception, with even 2700 sunny hours per year.
- Continental climate: average temperatures in July range between 25,4 °C and 26,4 °C, whereas in January the temperature amounts to around 5 °C.
- Mountainous climate: it is characterized by cold and snowy winters and mild summers. On the highest peaks snow can be found throughout the year.
Currency: Euro (€) - 1 EUR = 100 cent
Coins: 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 cent and 1 and 2 EUR
Bank notes: 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500 EUR
The exchange of foreign currencies is done at the counters of business banks as well as currency exchange offices.
Electricity: Voltage of city power grid - 220V, frequency 50Hz.
Water: Tap water is potable.
Telephone code: The telephone code for Montenegro is + 381.
Travel documents: Passport or other internationally recognised identification documents. For a stay in Montenegro for up to 30 days visa is not required for the citizens of the following countries: Germany, France, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Great Britain, Ireland, Iceland, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Austria, Switzerland, Norway, Monaco, Malta, Lichtenstein, San Marino, Vatican, Andorra, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Byelorussia, Moldova, Albania, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Israel.
Mobile telephone network:
There are two GSM operators in Montenegro:
Pro Monte GSM (069), Info: 9898 and Monet GSM (067), Info: 9899
There is a Roaming service with every bigger country of Europe and of the world.
The best option for tourists is to use Pre paid cards, which can be bought in post offices, operators' stores or at news-stands.
Important telephone numbers:
Assistance on the roads 987
Weather forecast 9848
National cuisine: Traditional specialities are based on beef and pork. In the coastal areas you can also try seafood. "Niksic beer", which is brewed in the town bearing the same name, is quite famous, and the purest spring water is used for its preparation. Prices in restaurants and café bars are the following:
- Coffee, cappuccino: 0.5 € - 1.2 €
- Beer: 1 € - 2 €
- Montenegrin wine: 8 € - 12 €
- Main dish with meat (beefsteak, steak): 5 € - 10 €